What is Coco Peat?
Cocopeat is a byproduct after extracting coir fiber from coconut husk. It is also known as coir pith or coir dust is a multipurpose growing medium made out of coconut husk.Cocopeat is a natural, spongy cellulose organic plant growing media which is utilized in horticulture, landscaping, soil improving, soil conditioning in golf course setting etc. etc. Its high water holding capacity and air filled porosity makes it an ideal growing medium for the plant crops. This clean coir has natural rooting hormones and anti-fungal properties.
Cocopeat has excellent absorbent properties, it can hold nutrients very well, and release them to the plant over a prolonged period. Cocopeat is an eco-friendly organic soil substitute / soil conditioner made from Coconut husk. The coir dust collected from de-fibering units spread in yards like heaps washed with fresh water, heat treated dried in concrete yards screened, graded and tested before taking into production. Cocopeat Bales are used in horticulture, floriculture and other applications. Cocopeat is supplied in compressed blocks for easy storage and the product is then expanded by adding water.
A proven natural alternative to mined peat moss, it helps slow down peat extraction from environmentally sensitive swamps worldwide. Used as a growing medium/potting medium Coco Peat outperforms most of the popular brands of Peat and Sphagnum Peat. Healthy root growths easy with Coco Peat 100% natural organic coir.
What are its Applications?
Hydroponics, potting mixes, cut flowers, propagating, re-planting, mushroom farming, bonsai mixes, turf farming, garden beds, medium for earth worms, vegetable gardens, rose cultivation, golf course greens, and other general garden uses.
Coco peat can be used in seed starting mixes, bedding plants, planters, soil mixes, gardens, container plants. Anywhere you would use peat moss. The properties of Coco Peat make it resistant to bacterial and fungal growth.
- Coco Peat holds water rather than shedding it like traditional peat does! It holds 5 times its weight in water.
- Coco Peat has the ability to store and release nutrient to plants for extended periods of time. It also has great oxygenation properties which is important for healthy root development.
- It has a pH of 5.2-6.8 which is neutral to slightly acidic. This makes it great for alkaline garden soils.
- Easy to use! Just put your compressed Coco Peat brick in a container, add 20-22 ltres of water and let it soak until the water is absorbed, fluff it up and you are ready to use Coco Peat!
- Coco Peat can even be reused for up to 3-4 years!
- Vermiculture: Coco peat makes a great bedding material for worm bins! It's actually good for them and increases worm growth by 25%.
- Coco Peat is very slow to disintegrate, whereas peat moss breaks down within two years after application. Coco Peat only begins to break down after 4 years old.